Practice To Be More




“I believe that we learn by practice. Whether it means to learn to dance by practicing dancing or to learn to live by practicing living, the principles are the same. In each, it is the performance of a dedicated precise set of acts, physical or intellectual, from which comes shape of achievement, a sense of one's being, a satisfaction of spirit. One becomes, in some area, an athlete of God. Practice means to perform, over and over again in the face of all obstacles, some act of vision, of faith, of desire. The practice is a means of inviting the perfection desired.”
― Martha Graham



This is the story of a friend and thought I should share so we learn one or more things from it.

That was our instrument store in school. I’d go there, set it up, and practice in the heart of this tiny room until someone will come and beg me to stop as it was disturbing their reading or something.

For those that know me, I practiced in exams hall, in class, when I’m absent-minded, when I’m walking, till today...I practice in the office. Last week in an exam hall someone tapped me and asked ‘are you a drummer’, I was subconsciously practicing.

As a result, I soon became the best drummer on campus. And in my school that came with some prestige...well my reign was short-lived as another guy, out-practiced me!

At some point, there was nobody to be better than so I reduced my efforts. Too busy performing that I stopped practicing (they are 2 different things) - you perform what you know. It’s in practice you learn! This pattern has followed me throughout life academics, work, spirituality, etc. another good example happened today.

The lesson we should learn from this story:

1. That you know it is never enough you need to keep practicing it

2. You’ll only get better at what you practice

3. Keep at it. Don’t stop...strive to be the best, then get better at being that best.

4. You’ll stop growing if you stop practicing.

Keep practicing. Never let someone tell you you're too small or too slow.
Chris Paul

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No, Stop Asking For It

Understanding Self-Worth Value